[CentOS-devel] [CentOS-qa] 5.4 - i386 isos and tree

Thu Oct 15 14:29:44 UTC 2009
Patrice Guay <patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca>

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Patrice Guay wrote on 10/13/2009 01:31 PM:
>> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> Is there interest in a LiveDVD with more functionality than will fit on
>>> a CD?  Perhaps "full desktop/office/productivity/multimedia" GNOME
>>> and/or KDE versions?
>>>
>> If you have a kickstart file ready with such functionalities, publishing
>> it on the LiveCD trac website would be the first step. Adding a
>> documentation page explaining how to build such a LiveCD and what are
>> its benefits would come next.
>
> I have a kickstart file that worked to create a DVD image with a lot
> more components.  I'll run through the process again with a bit more
> thought before putting it out in public.  Will also give some thought to
> writing up the benefits.
>
> What I was really wondering is if such a LiveDVD image might be
> distributed by CentOS like the LiveCD, but allowing more functionality
> by removing the restrictions imposed by the size of a CD.

First, I think we should establish guidelines about what kind of
LiveCD/LiveDVD image could be distributed. Since we are probably going
to use the current mirrors for the distribution, we should be carefull
about what pieces of software are included in the ISO images. The use of
non-free software should certainly be avoided.

To prevent misuse of the distribution channels, the kickstart files for
the LiveCD images must be available for review and discussion. Then,
rebuilding periodically the approved ISO images and putting them on the
mirrors could be automated.

--
Patrice