[CentOS-devel] Custom Packages for WebEnvironment

Ralph Angenendt ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:20:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail at marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> There are a few challenges in a common infrastructure setup. We make
> use of components that are not part of the 'official' CentOS
> repositories atm. Most of them are web applications like Moin, phpBB,
> Mailmann, etc.

Just as  a note: Mailman *is* available in the core repositories. The
other two aren't, that is true.

> These have to be packed and made available, either in a
> publicly accessible (preferred) or an internal repo. So maybe CentOS
> Extras or even Contrib is a good place to hold these new packages.

Yes.

> Another advantage is the artwork and style setup. This could either be
> included directly within the corresponding application packages or
> packed separately.

Those need to be done as separate packages, so you don't need to
update the application when you update styles/artwork and the other
way around.

> As we are also replacing some configuration files of HTTP (e.g. error
> messages) we may also have to re-pack this app. Having RPMs that
> replace other RPMs configurations is not the preferred way, I guess.

The error messages maybe should be played out via puppet. Config
itself needs to go into puppet anyway.

Cheers,

Ralph