[CentOS-devel] Apache ServerTokens says Red Hat

Peter Magnusson

iocc at centos.lists.flashdance.cx
Sat Sep 5 11:35:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> That problem has been long dealt with. Use HWADDR in ifcfg-* to
>>> statically bind physical interfaces.
>> Tried that.
>> Didnt work.
> are you saying that specifying the hwaddr still got you wrong device
> name allocations ? I find that quite hard to believe, unless you are
> doing some wierd bridging stuff and the nic's are not really using
> physical devices.

It was 1 year since it was installed so I dont remember exactly. But I have
done some investigation and I GUESS that I didnt had HWADDR in ifcfg-*
because of the dates of them:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root   109 Aug  9  2008 ifcfg-eth1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   109 Aug  9  2008 ifcfg-eth2

The box was installed Aug  9  2008. I can not be sure however, they might
have been there first and then removed.

I didnt play with any udev rules during the troubleshooting. What I did was
playing around with hal and the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. I changed so it
would be correct in it (there I filled in the right HWADDR) and hal changed
it back after reboot. The fucker. So now hald is totally disabled on this
box.

I didnt know about ifrename to be honest
(http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3822).

However, I still think this is a BAD DESIGN CHOICE and Im not changing that
option no matter how it can be "fixed" with udev, ifrename or HWADDR in
ifcfg-*. That wouldnt be needed if you would wait until ALL cards are
detected and THEN name them.

I just wanted to say this, as my current workaround about this problem
works I will not change it or tweak it (it needs to be working, or else I
dont have any internet... or exists on internet).

Thats about it.

> a bit more info about your setup would be good. on a usual machine, with
> usual nic's - I've never heard of hwaddr allocations going walkabout. ever.

CentOS release 5.3 - 2.6.26
Shuttle XPC SB52G2
Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz, 400 MHz FSB
512 MB, DDR PC2700
Maxtor 80 GB HD
Bultin Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller		= My LAN
Bultin Intel EtherExpress 10/100 Ethernet Controller	= Transit1
PCI card EtherExpress 10/100 Ethernet Controller	= Transit2
(from http://www.flashdance.cx/computers.html)