[CentOS-devel] CentOS Plus: Valuable or wasted resource?

Ross Walker

rswwalker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:39:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 09/11/2009 02:43 PM, Ross Walker wrote:
>> Ok, so is ELrepo the "officially supported" third party repo for
>> CentOS, like epel is for RHEL?
>
> the closest thing to an official extras repo outside .centos.org is
> rpmrepo.org - aside from that is the extras repo actually hosted at
> centos.org.
>
> I've just read this entire thread and I totally fail to see what your
> point is. The CentOSPlus repo makes it possible to do somethings in a
> more distro friendly way and allows people to opt in should they so
> desire, if thats something you dont want to do - feel free to stay ( as
> is default ) opted out.

The original point of the thread was to bring to question whether the
cplus kernel was eating valuable developer time and from the
informative responses I got from Tim, Akemi and Johnny I was assured
it wasn't and that it is used to provide access to valuable kernel
patches that are slow to be incorporated upstream.

It was not a critique, but an explorative narrative, the outcome of
which was: valuable resource.

-Ross