[CentOS-devel] Package backports - 5.4 kernel

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Sep 16 10:48:26 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 09:00 PM, Jason Parker wrote:
> I can't agree with this new policy, and I hope these comments demonstrate why.

I just realised that it might have been you on irc last night, but you
left before we could actually have a conversation.

In principle what you are saying here is not something that anyone
disputes. However, the packages that are out there now are all security
updates - and the EL* platform runs as a single package stream. If there
are specific features that need >= versions of userland or deps of
anykind, those are reflected in the package Requirements

In this case, and specially the openfabrics code, we did some testing to
make sure that nothing breaks and only pushed these packages out into
the public repo's after that. If there are specific breakages, lets look
at resolving those.

Overall, I think its important we get the security updates out to as
many people as possible - so long as we dont break things.