[CentOS-devel] options on publishing a timeline

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 22 01:40:44 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while waiting for some tests to finish, I drew this up:
> http://www.karan.org/stuff/c5-release-plan.jpeg
>
> its no where near complete, at the moment it has perhaps half of all the
> things that need doing. But overall it should give people an idea on
> what happens. Now for the questions:
>
> - Whats  good way to publish something like this so it does not get in
> the way. For the people who need to keep it going, as well as for people
> looking for info.
>
> - How might one factor in timetaken or things. One option is that we
> just dont do that for one release, then use the timings from that
> release for estimates on the next release - hopefully getting better and
> more accurate in a few cycles like that.

Last time I asked, some years ago, I think someone at redhat.com suggested
mrproject.

That was about the timeframe mentioned here:
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/mrproject/
According to this
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/MrProject
it vanished into gnome office, then got dropped. Does gnome have
anything to replace it?

I once attended a project management course. The little I remember now
boils down to, at least in the planning stage, a small committee is
good. 4-6 people. A small group will give better results one person.

Write down the necessary steps, Argue about them until you agree the
list is "more or less done."

Decide what order tasks need to be completed. Some can be in parallel -
eg much package building. Augue over that until the order seems right.

Argue about how long they will take to do. When done, add a fudge factor.

Publish the lot as "best guestimate." I think you need some software
such as planner (I think KDE has something too), and ideally it allows
remote, shared access for updating, but if not appoint a secretary and
deputy secretary and be sure both can get to the important files. Heck,
let tout le monde have read access to the files, argue when/if needed if
the "right" person is not available to update the master copy.

Probably, some tasks can be spun off into their own projects.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait