[CentOS-devel] Custom Packages for WebEnvironment

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Sep 30 09:48:17 UTC 2009

On 09/30/2009 07:59 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> publicly accessible (preferred) or an internal repo. So maybe CentOS
> Extras or even Contrib is a good place to hold these new packages.

That works for me, we still dont have a clear policy on Contrib/ so lets
avoid using that for now.

> Another advantage is the artwork and style setup. This could either be
> included directly within the corresponding application packages or
> packed separately.

Sysadmin best practices would be to hold site and implementation / role
specific components and knowledge in the system management / config
manage system and not the rpm.

Having said that - the default index.html page and some of the others
could well do with CentOS branding upgrades. That sort of a thing could
be rolled into the distro packages without a problem. eg. Firefox's
default loadup page and the httpd welcome.conf target page. None of
these are site/role specific.

> As we are also replacing some configuration files of HTTP (e.g. error
> messages) we may also have to re-pack this app. Having RPMs that
> replace other RPMs configurations is not the preferred way, I guess.

puppet in this case. As and when there are things in place, one of us on
the sysadmin team will start looking at implementation details and get
involved with the process. Are we at that stage already ?

- KB