[CentOS-devel] iet

Tue Sep 22 16:53:52 UTC 2009
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/09, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The install scripts should 'chkconfig iscsi-target on' for you.
>
> It prly did - just old sysadmin habit on my part...

Actually it doesn't, it just 'chkconfig --add' it. Which is ok because
maybe the operator doesn't want it starting right away.

>> Still to do, is figure out a way to have it generate kabi tracking
>> kernel module that is compatible with both RH and SLES.
>
> I don't currently have SLES installed, but have lot's of spare hw
> around if it would help for me to have it on something.

I don't have SLES either, which makes testing hard, but if you have
the time to install a trial version of SLES and the rpmbuild stuff and
give it a try I would definitely appreciate it.

>> Right now it can generate a dkms kernel module, but not everyone uses
>> dkms and I don't think it's included in extras, but it is cross-
>> platform, so you can have one kmod package for both C4 and C5 and all
>> kernel variants, and 4 user code packages (32bit and 64bit for each
>> version), much easier then 8 kernel packages and 4 user packages.
>
> I've always liked dkms - Matt is an über bright type... and as you may
> have noticed, kmod gives me nothing but headaches. However, I seem to
> be the only one, so I live with it until I can fix it myself.

Well maybe a dkms port to 'extras' wouldn't be asking too much?

I like dkms as well because it provides detailed information that one
would otherwise have to poke into /lib/modules for, it also allows for
rebuilding due to kabi changes without re-installing which is nice.

-Ross