[CentOS-devel] EOL plans for C3

Fri Aug 13 18:00:50 UTC 2010
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 09:33 PM, Blake Hudson wrote:
>> If you have applications that only run on C3, then it provides the
>> information necessary for maintaining future C3 installations on newer
>> hardware that C3 does not natively support.
>
> Yes, also in many cases the app being hosted on the platform could
> exposes services in a self contained manner ( a legacy DB ? ), taking it
> off the wire natively allows the app to run inside the virtualised
> container without needing to rely on C3's iptable or ssh ( as an example
> ), which might in turn have reported public vuln's no longer being patched.
>
> - KB

I totally agree : just *try* to imagine the number or running Red Hat
Linux 7.2 still used in production :-)
One argument in favor of the virtualization (given by Red Hat at a
seminar) was that if you *still* have to maintain legacy apps,
virtualization is the way to go, and of course in a separate vlan and
not faced to the wild web ...

Fabian Arrotin