[CentOS-devel] are there any chances to see finished CentOS6 in 2011?

Charlie Brady charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Fri Dec 31 18:54:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Am 28.12.10 10:37, schrieb Filip Bartmann:
>
> > So why is CentOS development so closed? Why users can't have alphas,
> > or betas of this distro and must use some other rebuild as Scientific
> > Linux?
>
> One of the reasons is the sheer volume. CentOS is in use (wild educated
> guess here) on a massively larger scale than SL is. Just getting out the
> isos for an alpha or beta or whatever will take at least a day to two
> for getting on all mirror servers. If you also want to have the
> packages, it even might take longer.

Please explain the logic. Why does the volume imply that CentOS
development must be closed? Why does the volume imply that there cannot be
alphas or betas? Do Fedora and Debian not also have large volume?

Are there any plans to tackle the human bottleneck issues within the
CentOS development process?

It seems to me that the rebranding process did not start during the
upstream beta period. If so, was that a conscious decision by the CentOS
team?

---
Charlie