[CentOS-devel] are there any chances to see finished CentOS6 in 2011?

Michał Piotrowski

mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 00:38:25 UTC 2010

W dniu 26 grudnia 2010 20:38 użytkownik R P Herrold
<herrold at centos.org> napisał:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2010, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>
>> So I wonder what are the chances of seeing CentOS6 in 2011.
>> Or perhaps a more realistic date is 2012? (Maybe you are
>> waiting for the release of DNF?)
>
> The choice always comes down to ship less well vetted content
> fast; or a full set of which one may be proud, less quickly
>
> My last post here noted that Red Hat ran a four month beta
> program, AFTER their internal stabilization.

Yeah, but I don't expect from CentOS any stabilization - only rebuild
of packages.

>  My blog post
> crossing 'planet.centos.org' made it clear

Sorry, but I did not even realize that such thing as planet.c.o exist.
Also I did not realize that you and your blog exist.

The only thing that I see is that after a month and half only one
package has changed graphics/strings etc. Because I do not see any
progress on http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/AuditStatus I'm wondering
if CentOS team wants to release this OS this year, next year or
anytime in the near future.

> that the CentOS
> team simply are not much driven to respond to 'popular demand'
> or press pressure, and more motivated to produce a durable
> product.  Before that my post here noted that it was unlikely
> that few oterh than hard core developers who enjoyed pain
> would ever be able to do a yum transition from 5 to 6, as 6 is
> rather radically different 'under the hood' as to SELinux
> model
>
> When people are inclined to carp about release pace, they
> might find it more profitable to look through the open wiki
> page on the release, or the open bugtrackker bugs, and
> document a solution for an unresolved issue, if they wanted to
> get a release sooner
>
> ... just a wild idea
>
> -- Russ herrold

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my fscking awesome Black Hole Generator