[CentOS-devel] [was: Reality V/s Fantasy] Stripping SRPM payload

Thu Dec 2 14:20:21 UTC 2010
Matt Rose <mattrose at folkwolf.net>

> Hello Karanbir,
>
> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 02:29 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Patches for branding issues need to be done at the srpm payload level,
>> and not as a patch in the .spec
>
> Is that really necessary? The original SRPMs with the "offending"
> payload are freely available and if I'm not mistaken redistributable
> under the GPL (IANAL). If you'd just patch the spec file to replace that
> content that would fix the RPMs that will be build from it. What legal
> requirement is there to strip those SRPMs?

I'm not privy to anything, but I imagine a lot of the images are
registered trademarks.  GPL doesn't (nor shouldn't) cover these.

See the whole Firefox v. Debian debate a few years back.  RedHat would, I
think, be pretty lenient on CentOS TM violations, but only if Karanbir et
al were vigilant about stripping trademarked stuff out.

Matt