[CentOS-devel] please submit all work-in-progress status's

Fri Dec 10 16:57:28 UTC 2010
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday, December 10, 2010 11:08:47 am Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> There likely won't be any alpha/beta released publicly.  The tree that
> Karanbir is building now will be reviewed by the QA team and once
> testing is complete will be released to the public as CentOS 6 final.

If I may interject here, since many will not understand one of the reasons why this is the case, a pointer to http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=66

Summary of the content of the above link: CentOS makes every effort to remove all protected trademarks from CentOS distribution packages/isos before ever distributing it publicly.

If you want an alpha of an EL6 rebuild so desparately, traipse on over to scientificlinux.org and test 6rolling.  CentOS does things differently, as is their right.  Any and all metadiscussions about the GPL and closed betas should be sent to /dev/null, as that sort of metadiscussion will not be a productive use of anyone's time.  Just go read the archives if you feel like you must know about that.

However, it sounds pretty encouraging that the build is going so well, and that QA is on the ball.  Good job, guys.  Wish I had the time to help out like I'd like to.