[CentOS-devel] Why are Spacewalk packages removed from CentOS?

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Wed Feb 10 23:56:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 10/02/10 21:55, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Could we please wait to hear this confirmed by someone from the Spacewalk
>> development community ? You may or may not know that what Red Hat ships
>> and is called Red Hat Network Satellite, is in fact using spacewalk
>> packages, and a seperate RHN package that rebrands Spacewalk.
>
> This is sort of my concern as well. But then I dont use spacewalk and
> would really like to hear from Miroslav once on the issue.

Identical to what I said to Marcus. We know everyone's viewpoint now.

>> In my opinion, if CentOS wants to be compatible with RHEL, it needs to be
>> compatible even in the parts that may or may not be useful to its users.
>
> sure, but then the reason why rhn tools were taken out of the distro in
> CentOS-3, 4 and 5 is not because its not useful to the users, its
> because it can and did cause real issues to the users and to Red Hat.
> There were instances were anecdotal evidence suggested hundreds of
> thousands of people hitting rhn who didnt even have a rhel install.

Karanbir, that has been explained now at least three times. There was a
reason why shipping the RHN stuff was useless. The situation is now
different, and we are re-evaluating.

> However, given that those issues can be addressed and the rhn tools in
> centos can be patched against the 'concerns' I'm quite happy to consider
> putting them back in if it helps people with spacewalk ( and potentially
> other tools )

I know. I thought we weren't looping anymore, guess I was wrong :-)