[CentOS-devel] Why are Spacewalk packages removed from CentOS?

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Thu Jan 21 12:47:03 UTC 2010

Dear Karan,

> Justin Sherrill had started working down the road of making a 'snapshot'
> of the spacewalk client tools repo, updating that to sync with the
> release schedules of CentOS-4.X and 5.X; Is that still an option ?
>
> I dont deny the fact that adding these packages in would make things
> easier for people who use spacewalk, but lets not do that if it makes
> things a bit harder or obscure for people who dont use spacewalk. So
> lets talk about it and see how we can make and keep both sides happy.

An option would be to include all packages from the newly created
Spacewalk $ver-client repo, e.g.:

http://spacewalk.redhat.com/yum/0.7-client/RHEL/5/i386/

in the plus repo as it would make client registration/management a bit easier.

For Fedora, the plan is to bring these packages to the main tree, and
most of them are already there.

As Miroslav already stated that these packages won't hit
rhn.redhat.com I do not thing that should be a big problem.

Setting up an own repo for the 'server' part of Spacewalk within the
CentOS Space does not make much sense imho and would cause overhead.

Best Regards
Marcus