[CentOS-devel] Why are Spacewalk packages removed from CentOS?

James Hogarth

james.hogarth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:04:08 UTC 2010

2010/1/26 Marcus Moeller <mail at marcus-moeller.de>:
> Hi again,
>
>> Let me import the sources into a shared setup, and we can workout a
>> patchset that is needed. We can then target this for 5.5 inclusion if
>> its considered worth doing and does not cause any issues.
>
> I still ask myself why one would use the 'old' rhn tools from rhel to
> connect against Spacewalk instead of the current ones.
>
> Until these are not in sync, inclusion of the rhel packages does not
> make much sense imho.
>
> Best Regards
> Marcus
>
> PS: To be paranoid: maybe RH is planning a migration path to 'upgrade'
> from CentOS to RHEL, which is the only reason I see atm why the tools
> should be integrated :)

I have a growing spacewalk install for my centos systems to assist in
management of them. Currently around 30 machines and when done should
hit around 100-120... not a huge number but it helps significantly.

Given that to setup spacewalk in the first instance a user would need
to make use of the non-client repo (possibly replicating it locally)
and then create channels that sync from other upstream repos (or push
own packages to them) to get proper functionality - ie the ability to
view updated packages and push them out as required.... I honestly
can't see much point in having the old RHEL5.X packages in Centos 5.X
by default. Anyone that is implementing at this stage should have the
competence to create a local yum repo from the client-tools spacewalk
repo that they can use to install the client tools and register a
system against their server - and if there were any bugs between
spacewalk and the client tools they would likely be fixed faster in
the client repo as used by the spacewalk team... doubly so in light of
the time it takes for the redhat SRPMS to be cleaned up and generated
for teh centos repositories.

As far as an 'upgrade path' from centos to RHEL upon recently asking
this of our account manager (for a sizeable enterprise account) we
were told quite clearly that such an action wouldn't be supported and
RHEL systems they would provide support on going forwards would need
to be built from scratch.