[CentOS-devel] tracking ABI changes in C/C++ libraries

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 15:37:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 10:50 -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2010, at 10:45 AM, JohnS wrote:
> > It would be a Yum locking problem when using plague or revisor.  So how
> > can yum obtain a lock over a "rw" nfs root?  I was interested in Karan
> > was doing this.
>
> OK.
>

> > # Working Config
> > self.destination_directory = "/home/ethan/x86_64/BUILDER/JE2"  # NFS
> > Root
> > self.working_directory = "/BUILDER"  # Local Directory
> >
> > # Non Working
> > I would like this in the NFS Root as well but have the yum lock issue.
> > self.working_directory = "/home/ethan/x86_64/BUILDER/Working/JE2"
> >

> There's nothing in yum but fcntl locks last I looked (perhaps a year
> ago, but there's so many incompatible versions around that ymmv.)

The exact problem is yum can't get a lock on the meta data in an nfs
root.  I have browsed the yum list and seen the same problems and no fix
for it yet or even if it could be fixed.

> Smells like you need NFS locking configured. Do you have NFS
> configured for locking? Likely the best verification is to
> use a NFS stats collector and confirm whether you see lockd
> RPC packets. tcpdump can be used in a pinch too.

Tried locking and no locking for the nfs root.  I've seen reports that
this was a UDP problem but it persists UDP or TCP does not matter.  I
wanted Plague to run on a total nfs file root so multiple machines could
have access at once to transfer files needed (grid style).  I suspect
Karan is doing it  on Local Disk wheres as I want it my way.  Maybe a
thread subject change if he has any ideas and thanks for your also.

John