[CentOS-devel] Missing security updates

Charlie Brady charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Thu Jul 22 18:29:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 07/22/2010 04:25 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > That could be.  I'm not sure which specific things you're referring to.
> >    I vaguely recall frequent volunteers to engage in the
> > build/test/release process met with the pronouncement that CentOS's team
> > is a meritocracy and that people will be allowed in as they prove their
>
> Yes, thats about right. The idea of testing stuff within CentOS has a
> very finite end point. With very few exceptions the only people trying
> to get onto the testing team are people looking for early access. There
> have only ever been a small number of people who actually do anything. I
> would love, more than anything else at this time, to have a large and
> productive testing team - but one that actually does something.

I don't think the problem here is either the size or the idleness of the
test team. What are the steps involved in
building/validating/testing/releasing security updates? I don't know.
Which steps have been completed and which steps are still to be done. I
don't know. Is the bottleneck the testing team? I don't think so.

What we do know are that Tru has been unavailable for various reasons and
Karanbir is "supposed to be covering for him (and doing a bit of a crap
job at the moment)". These things happen, and I don't wish to attach
personal blame. But I think it is also useful to acknowledge that these
are the reasons for the non-released packages, rather than talk about
testing resources or opportunities for people to contribute to the wiki.

As I stated earlier, I think there is systematic process issue that the
CentOS project should address. I'm not sure whether you are saying that
there isn't a problem, or that the problem exists but is not solveable. I
don't think either response is appropriate. Wouldn't it be more useful to
admit that there is a problem, and discuss exactly what needs to be done
to solve it?

[I'm trying to be constructive here, so please don't be defensive. Russ
can vouch for me. I don't just wish to be spoonfed, and I do know what it
is like to ask for help and receive little. I just don't see that as the
problem here.]

---
Charlie