[CentOS-devel] Missing security updates

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Fri Jul 23 11:37:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Charlie Brady wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Charlie Brady wrote:
>>
>>> timeliness *appears* not to be important to the CentOS
>>> project, hence this discussion.
>>
>> Not intended to be a smear - please see timeline @
>>
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4386
>
> One person comes to mind who stomped off the project very
> publicly, and will not be invited back.  Their choice.  I
> would not try to stop them, and will respect my relationship
> with the others who comprise the core of the CentOS process.
> We may not agree on all matters, but I think that those who
> remain there all agree that we will celebrate success
> publicly, and address failures privately

Russ,

If you are talking about me, you are twisting history quite a bit. It's
one thing to fiercly stand behind your herd, but it's another if this goes
against the goals of the project and benefits/expectations of its users.

Case in point, the core is reduced to maybe 4 active people, there is no
governance model, there is no transparancy, internally important matters
are minimized and/or delayed (for years!), a lot of (active) people in the
community are tired of the (lack of) progress but have no means to do
anything about it, I can go on...

The statement that there is a lack of people that want to actively
contribute may be true, but if you cannot engage the people that show a
willingness to do so, if there is no transparancy and there is no active
process for people to contribute, then it's very painful for those people
that do want to contribute.

If people are not allowed to speak up (or are being excommunicated if they
do) then you are alienating all people that want to actively contribute
(even in the core team). This thread is yet another example of that same
recurring theme.

And that is exactly what happened to me inside the core team. There was a
clear distrust and important matters were _not_ addressed. Those same
items are still unaddressed. If I don't feel I am useful in the core team,
if I cannot make a difference, if I cannot fix the things that matter to
the community, it is my duty to quit. At least it gives the opportunity to
someone else to try and do better. If I don't stand behind the project, I
cannot stay in a core team in clear conscience and keep my opinions to
myself in return for personal benefits. What you portret as a weakness, I
consider a great strength.

The fact that you pretend I want to be invited back is laughable, but
fits nicely into the excommunicated role you have me play, I guess :-)

PS As a reminder, my resignation letter summarized some of the pain
points:

     http://dag.wieers.com/blog/leaving-centos-team-not-centos-community

which are still valid today. If I will be known as the guy who couldn't
make a blind man see, then so be it ;-)

Kind regards,