[CentOS-devel] DRBD again...

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jun 22 13:14:23 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 23:59, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> upstream, downstream and the platform. Take any one of the tree away and
>> in this day and age - its mostly wasted effort.
>
> Ok, let's be more specific. On what basis are packages from downstream
> accepted ? I can see a list of packages in CentOS Extras, but no clear
> relation. Let alone some "homogenous user experience plan".

The guys who produce DRBD put out their own packages, CentOS has
packages and there are other places that people can get drbd from - most
common deployed strategy I've seen is based on local builds(!). The idea
of homogenous here would be that if CentOS and the upstream were to work
together to make sure that user experience is relatively sane,
irrespective of source they get their packages from - that would be a
big win.

I have opened a dialog with linbit to see how we might be able to do
this. There are quite a few options here that I want to pursue with
other upstream vendors as well.

> Also during FOSDEM this year (wrt. additional packages) you clearly
> articulated that the CentOS project was going to return to its core
> business, and do that well. How does that match with a CentOS Extras
> repository ?

You are twisting things a bit here. I dont think CentOS ever left its
core business of the main distro. Things would have been a bit different
had CentOS given up at anytime in the past. So the idea of returning to
things is flawed.

>From the CentOS Developers perspective its going to be a case of
focusing on whats core to the project and the userbase. If users want to
step up and create a self-supported mechanism I dont see why we need to
say no or to step away.

CentOS is in a fantastic place to try and unify some of these user
experience issues that people run into so often and I would really like
to see that change. But rather than just talk about stuff as we have
been doing in the past, it worth actually doing things.

- KB