[CentOS-devel] DRBD again...

Ralph Angenendt

ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:14:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 05/31/2010 05:05 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> During a `yum update` on only "one" node, it wants to replace
>> drbd.x86_64 8.3.7-1 with drbd82? Uh, ok...
>
> yum will not do an update for drbd with drbd82 just based on the name,
> is there something in drbd82 that is doing an obsolete for drbd ?

Yes, there is, iirc. Because we shipped drbd80, drbd82 and drbd83. The
drbd package up there is not from extreas.

>> Given the package building is so well done for drbd, by Linbit, does
>> it make sense to duplicate their effort and simply make work for the
>> maintainers of this repo?

I have no idea if their packaging is kernel agnostic, so that it
survives the installation of a new kernel version without rebuilding
or recompiling the kernel module.

> are they doing any work directly to support centos/el ? If so, it might
> be worth asking them i they would like to  work with Ralph in
> maintaining the packages in the centos repos.

There are packages for RHEL, which fall out of the SuSE build service,
afaik. I've looked at their spec file, but find ours better suited to
CentOS.

Ralph