[CentOS-devel] Artwork pre-prep for v6

Marcus Moeller

mail at marcus-moeller.de
Thu Jun 17 06:33:10 UTC 2010

Hi Alain.

>> Great to have you back. Hope everything is fine so far.
>
> This connection ends tomorrow. I'm glad to to communicate myself with
> you all at this time. Don't know what will happen tomorrow so I'll try
> to upload as much as possible for you all to check.

>>> good for promotion ? what about corporate visual identity ? what is
>>> your idea exactly ?
>>
>> My idea is to make every major release visually unique. There should
>> be something like motto which should be kept on minor releases. Maybe
>> even NO artwork change on minor releases could be an option.
>
> I'm just worried about maintainance issues of one visually unique
> schema per major release. The CentOS projects maintain near to 4 major
> releases at the same time. Let's see what happen after uploading the
> centos-artwork-repo-0.0.1.tar.bz2 file.  Keep monitoring
> http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork page. I will upload an 8MB file to it,
> and if connection is still active I will try to start uploading things
> up to  https://projects.centos.org/svn/artwork structure.

Maintenance of dedicated artworks per major release is much easier
than updating artwork of !every! release on a change of the 'unique'
artwork.

But I agree, in general we should not change artwork in minor releases.

>> For RHEL 6 we have to create some additional stuff as rhgb has been
>> replaced with plymouth.
>
> Yes, plymouth is something we need to introduce inside artwork
> repository rendering structure.

I have already taken a look at plymouth. From my observation bg color
is set during compile time so we need to check the code, too (similar
to rhgb).

Best Regards
Marcus