[CentOS-devel] Interested in IA64 build.

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri May 21 10:51:10 UTC 2010

On 05/21/2010 11:05 AM, James A. Peltier wrote:
> So what is it that you need?  Just for someone like me to actually run it?  What would be required if I wanted to maintain my own build and keep it up to date as an un-official copy?

Yes, when I did the bootstrap - I had interest from 3 people, 1 of whom
then changed jobs and his workplace dropped the ia64 cluster and moved
to x86_64, the second guy had 1 ia64 machine which developed a problem
and they didnt think its worth fixing it. I've not heard from the third
chap since. So not sure what is going on.

> I'm interested in getting involved and contributing back.  Of course I'm also not sure how much work is involved just yet.

There isn't really that much work involved - not nearly as much as
powerpc/powerpc64 effort. If you are going to put in the effort, it
might be worth doing something semi official - as long as we can retain
the general build and distro policy of / for CentOS and we can get to a
state were we track build packages from i386 / x86-64.

There is a build machine hosted in the UK ( its a dell 2950 with 2 ia64
1.4Ghz - couple of gigs of ram and is on a fairly good network ). So we
would need to get together atleast another machine for testing purposes.
I'm guessing you already have some kit in place, which might be usable ?

How much of time are you really going to put into this ? I dont mean to
sound patronising, but it would to be good to work with someone who has
some level of commitment. Given that I have no personal interest in
ia64, and no hardware of my own that is ia64, and that rhel6 isn't going
to have a ia64 tree[1]; We really dont want to be in a situation wherein
we put something out, and then struggle to keep things moving along.[2]

- KB

[1]: does'nt mean we cant do one

[2]: within reason. No one expects anyone to commit on contract, 10 hrs
a week for 5 years. But it should not be a case of only putting this
effort in through the summer holidays, or a 'quiet phase at work' etc.

PS: try not top posting