[CentOS-devel] Forum overhaul

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue May 25 21:12:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> As an end user, I would like to know if there is any forward progress on
> doing something about the CentOS forums?

whatever forward means --

You don't like it for various reasons; a post in the first
Forum thread listed from a centos devel was made, and no trial
implementation indicating satisfaction with the criteria was
made that I can see

I would add [with the benefit of time and knowing what is
happening in the broader Open Source world] to z00dax'
comment, that it should support federated authentication
[ldap,OpenID, whatever]; show a low attack surface history at
the CVE; be in active maintenance or better, development; be
in a language permitting addon extensibility without having to
'marry' the darn thing; and permit 'static' top pages to
address 'slashdotting'.  Does it integrate well with puppet,
mailman, and stock CentOS tools; is it Free and Open Source
software using CentOS stock supporting packages?

> This apparently has came up time and again, with various examples being
> given of the deficiencies of the existing setup (depending on your point
> of view).

I saw chatter and grumbling between people who like 'pull
content' such as forums

> As near as I can tell the general consensus seems to be
> 'yes, something needs to be done'

And the mice voted to bell the cat.  If all noses are of equal
value and no cost is placed on voting and no cost is imputed
to the effort needed to make changes, then sure those choosing
to speak as to a proposed change (without doing anything to
further it) I suppose there is 'general consensus' in favor of
said change.  But all I see from the talkers, is talk; nothing
prevents any of the talkers from doing in a sandbox somewhere,
so far as I know.

> ... and thats about as far as it gets.  I
> realize everybody has lots on their plate, but this has been languishing
> for a year or more, with no apparent changes being made.  For a
> self-proclaimed 'enterprise' OS, the associated support forum doesn't
> make much of a first impression.

And meeting the artistic sensibilities of some people is in
the core goal set of CentOS, such that the project leaders
_want_ to care just, because ...?

The loaded words and finger pointing 'quilting' phrases simply
drip from your 'demotivating' post

If flashy and latest hotness Web 2.0 and such are what one
runs, rather than binaries that work, with stability and
predictably, I guess CentOS fails as a project.  So Sad

I see:

> 10.6; en-US;  rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100317 Lightning/1.0b1
> Thunderbird/3.0.4

and frankly this is a GUI users complaint, I guess,
considering the source

> What needs done?  What needs decided?  Whose backside needs a fire lit
> under it?  What can *I* do?

Look in a mirror perhaps and place your fire there first;
Perhaps a running and ovbiously better replacement would
convince the core team that it cares to undertake the pain of
a conversion, and ongoing maintenance

TANSTAAFL

My $ 0.02

-- Russ herrold