[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 PowerPC port?

Greg Snyder

gregs at tallmaple.com
Fri May 21 06:57:14 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a CentOS 5 port started for PowerPC.  I saw there was
some email back in February about this, but did not know what progress
had been made.  Does anyone have any news?  I'm most interested in
32-bit, with the hope of eventually running it on some Apple (G4 and G5)
desktops, as well as on some embedded PowerPC boards (mostly amcc 460ex
based).  So I'd be hoping to build with some pretty generic target
options so the RPMs would be useful in the most places.

Are there tools, scripts or techniques used to do the x86 RPMs build
that could be leveraged?  I looked around on the CentOS website and
wiki, but could not find docs or sources for this.  Any pointers on
this, or just generally how the x86 build/build server is bootstrapped,
and the x86 RPMs are produced, would be greatly appreciated.

Given my previous somewhat painful experience with autoconf-related
cross-build issues, my first thought was to build the bulk of the RPMs
natively on PowerPC, rather than x86 to PowerPC cross-build.  I have a
few PowerPC boxes (currently running Fedora 12), including a quad core
2.5GHz G5, that I'd be happy to share with others interested in getting
a CentOS PowerPC port done.

I'd be grateful for any tips, help or direction.

Thanks,
Greg