[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 PowerPC port?

Fri May 21 09:30:18 UTC 2010

On 05/21/2010 07:57 AM, Greg Snyder wrote:
> Given my previous somewhat painful experience with autoconf-related
> cross-build issues, my first thought was to build the bulk of the RPMs
> natively on PowerPC, rather than x86 to PowerPC cross-build.  I have a
> few PowerPC boxes (currently running Fedora 12), including a quad core
> 2.5GHz G5, that I'd be happy to share with others interested in getting
> a CentOS PowerPC port done.

Tim and Fabian have been doing some work on the ppc build at the moment,
I've done some in the past. There is an irc channel #centos-ppc that we
use to keep in sync. And *most* of the hardwork required to bootstrap
the builds has already been done ( creating the bootstrap roots etc )

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the RHEL ppc project
*only* targets IBM power4+ kit. Which does not include anything that
apple ever made, and it certainly does not include any non 64bit powerpc
capable stack.

So welcome to the party, bring your kernel and glibc porting skills
along. And be ready to backport upstream patches for various things as
they only patch ppc64 relevant code ( which, admittedly isnt that much
to start with - but it does include the kernel and a dep tree down from
there ).

The situation has gotten a bit more intense with the direction they are
taking in RHEL6.

Tim, Fabian - perhaps an irc syncup is called for ?

- KB