[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Nov 26 16:04:48 UTC 2010

On 11/26/2010 01:11 PM, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
>>> My suggestion: Let's do it just like Red Hat.
> Because it is much clearer.

What about the fact that we've always had a single merged distro layout
for 2.1/3/4/5 ? There is a fairly consistent user experience and user
expectation built around that as well, right ?

Also, consider that having so many more isos and so many more repo's
will also drastically increase the disk space requirements on mirrors.
We could get around that to some extent using hardlinks between the
repo's but the ISOS will need their own space.

> A desktop / workstation version and a server version. (With the same repos)

Maybe this can happen - have multiple install media with the same repo
on mirror.centos.org; what are the implications arising from this ?

>>> CentOS 6 Server (about 3,2 GB)
>>> CentOS 6 Workstation (about 4 GB)
>> What about the other variants ?
> The client variant?

There are also the storage products, the computenode etc. Given that we
have no support model, and it makes little sense to replicate pkgs for
isos and base repo's I dont really see why we would want all that overhead.

> I am sure to continue to use [optional].

why :)

- KB