[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Morten P.D. Stevens

mstevens at imt-systems.com
Fri Nov 26 16:50:20 UTC 2010

2010/11/26 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>:

> What about the fact that we've always had a single merged distro layout
> for 2.1/3/4/5 ? There is a fairly consistent user experience and user
> expectation built around that as well, right ?

That's a good question. In recent years the size of all linux distibutions is greatly increased.

The other possibility: We make 2 DVDs for CentOS6 containing all packages.
In any case, I would appreciate if we offer a network install CD like Red Hat.

> Also, consider that having so many more isos and so many more repo's
> will also drastically increase the disk space requirements on mirrors.
> We could get around that to some extent using hardlinks between the
> repo's but the ISOS will need their own space.

Yes, this is the drawback.

On the other hand, CentOS 6 will be identical to RHEL6.
This would make it easier for newcomers.

> There are also the storage products, the computenode etc. Given that we
> have no support model, and it makes little sense to replicate pkgs for
> isos and base repo's I dont really see why we would want all that overhead.

The workstation and server version of CentOS 6 can indeed contain these packages.

We need only 2 versions: CentOS Server and Workstation containing all the upstream packages.

>> I am sure to continue to use [optional].
>
> why :)

For clarity :)

Best regards,

Morten