[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 18:52:22 UTC 2010

On 26/11/10 17:56, Greg Bailey wrote:
> Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
>> 2010/11/26 Karanbir Singh<mail-lists at karan.org>:
>>

>>> What about the fact that we've always had a single merged distro layout
>>> for 2.1/3/4/5 ? There is a fairly consistent user experience and user
>>> expectation built around that as well, right ?
>>>

>> That's a good question. In recent years the size of all linux distibutions is greatly increased.
>>
>> The other possibility: We make 2 DVDs for CentOS6 containing all packages.
>> In any case, I would appreciate if we offer a network install CD like Red Hat.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, what is the total size of server + workstation?
> (I only have access to RHEL 6 Server DVD, so I don't know how much
> Workstation adds to it).

Don't know as I don't have a Workstation subscription either, but the
64-bit multilib Server DVD is 3273MB containing 3432 packages, and the
optional channel contains a further 2672 packages (there might be a few
errata in there by now so it might actually be a few less than that).

Personally I would suggest a 2 DVD set for everything, and a somewhat
lighter "Server" DVD as per upstream that has room to grow during
subsequent update releases. That combined with the minimal network
install ISO image should cover most people's requirements?