[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Nov 29 12:16:14 UTC 2010

On 11/27/2010 09:10 PM, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> If you want fast, nothing beats a LiveCD/USB, particularly the way
> fedora's livecd-tools does it (dd fs copy, with my convoluted dm

thats not true. A bare metal install will finish before your livecd has
finished booting. I have c5/node's build in just under 270 seconds from
machine powerup - usb/optical media just cant shift data fast enough to
first boot an environment then kickup an installed.

ok, things might have changed in fedora13+; but I'd still like to see it
being done.

> optimization).  If you want super-fast, throw a rebootless installer
> (zyx-liveinstaller) on top of that.  Oops, I just willfully spammed the

.. and you lose any/all management ability from the standard
distro-aware tools. Ofcourse, that does not matter if you don't need
those tools anyway.

- KB