[CentOS-devel] minimal install CentOS-6 media

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Nov 29 12:30:17 UTC 2010

hi,

so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :

- support install from optical media
- support install from usb disk

- install as native platform
+ install to Xen domU
+ install to kvm VM

- Functional on post-install
+ firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
+ yum with the standard centos repos
+ sshd
+ selinux
+ functional dhcp client
+ functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
+ iptables and ip6tables

Questions;

* What else should added in ?

* Should we remove some more excess ?

* what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?

* Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.