[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Nov 29 13:24:19 UTC 2010

  On 11/29/2010 03:10 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/26/2010 08:31 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
>>> I am also quite keen on the idea of retaining our single-merged distro,
>>> atleast as the main option. And then perhaps a slightly light(er) weight
>>> alternative.
>> Well, I'd suggest starting with the package set on the upstream Server
>> disk as that looks fairly complete to me. There are some common
>> "Desktop" packages missing that might want to be added - evolution,
>> pidgin, thunderbird, xchat, and maybe even OpenOffice if there's room,
>> but most stuff is already there.
> the upstream server product is almost a full DVD in itself. Is it worth
> having the main distro on 2 DVD, and another option which is still a
> complete'ish DVD ?  If we are going to work out a lightweight CD size'd
> install media, is it worth then also having the full DVD'ish option over
> and above the 2 DVD disk full distro ?
unless the CD offers all that's needed for a lightweight SMB (as in
small business) server, it's not worth the effort ( at least not for
European users; I cannot speak for other parts of the world ). A server
edition on 1 DVD and a full-edition on 2 ( or more) DVDs satisfies me
completely.

/* my N82 has a SD card large enough to store a full DVD and I did use
it as install media */