[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Sat Nov 27 21:10:37 UTC 2010
Douglas McClendon <dmc.centos at filteredperception.org>

On 11/27/2010 11:45 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 11/26/10 12:30 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 11/26/2010 05:06 PM, Jean-Marc Liger wrote:
>>> Something which focus on what was the CentOS 4 Server CD is a good target.
>>> We could base it on some current Group Install Options like "CentOS//
>>> Server (GUI)".
>>
>> Thats possible, but we should try and consider what the install package
>> sets are on the upstream product and see if its possible to match that
>> in some way.
>>
>> w.r.t ServerCD-4, i just went with the most common server packages ( as
>> measured by download numbers on mirror.c.o ); that worked as an
>> additional install media, over and above the main distro CD/DVD set, but
>> if we are going to have something like this for our main install media I
>> feel trying to get close to the upstream product might be a good idea.
>>
>> what do you think ?
>
> I think it would be great to have a minimal CD/USB install image that would get
> you to a point where you can run yum after the reboot.  Whether enough server
> packages fit to be useful without having yum install more packages is somewhat
> irrelevant if we assume that you need enough internet connectivity to do updates
> anyway.   The idea would be to have a super-fast install that doesn't need a DVD

If you want fast, nothing beats a LiveCD/USB, particularly the way
fedora's livecd-tools does it (dd fs copy, with my convoluted dm
optimization).  If you want super-fast, throw a rebootless installer
(zyx-liveinstaller) on top of that.  Oops, I just willfully spammed the
list.  It just seemed relevent to the thread however.  And also a good
place to add the forgotten caveat to my last post about procedure, i.e.
I do have an obvious ulterior motive in wanting to see round1 packages
ASAP, so that I can start playing around with centos6 based livecd/usbs.

-dmc