[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Mon Nov 29 20:57:15 UTC 2010
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 29/11/10 13:10, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/26/2010 08:31 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
>>> I am also quite keen on the idea of retaining our single-merged distro,
>>> atleast as the main option. And then perhaps a slightly light(er) weight
>>> alternative.
>> Well, I'd suggest starting with the package set on the upstream Server
>> disk as that looks fairly complete to me. There are some common
>> "Desktop" packages missing that might want to be added - evolution,
>> pidgin, thunderbird, xchat, and maybe even OpenOffice if there's room,
>> but most stuff is already there.
>
> the upstream server product is almost a full DVD in itself. Is it worth
> having the main distro on 2 DVD, and another option which is still a
> complete'ish DVD ?  If we are going to work out a lightweight CD size'd
> install media, is it worth then also having the full DVD'ish option over
> and above the 2 DVD disk full distro ?

No, giving this some more thought I would just put out a 2 DVD full
distro set. Disk1 based on the upstream "Server" DVD and Disk2
containing everything else (i.e, the upstream "Optional" channel). Disk1
would also be your "minimal" disk giving everything that's required to
do an install meaning people don't need to download Disk2 to install.
The upstream Server DVDs are 2.7 and 3.2GB for x86 and x86-64, respectively.