[CentOS-devel] Considering repo re-structuring

Mon Nov 29 22:48:02 UTC 2010
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 29/11/10 21:08, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 10:57 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
>>
>> No, giving this some more thought I would just put out a 2 DVD full
>> distro set. Disk1 based on the upstream "Server" DVD and Disk2
>> containing everything else (i.e, the upstream "Optional" channel).
> I agree so far ...
>
>>   Disk1 would also be your "minimal" disk giving everything that's required to
>> do an install meaning people don't need to download Disk2 to install.
>>
> .. but not here. When people want "minimal" they expect to do that with
> a _small_ download. [*] A full DVD does not fit this bill, even if it
> can be used for a minimal install, too.
>
>> The upstream Server DVDs are 2.7 and 3.2GB for x86 and x86-64, respectively.
>>
> I sincerely doubt that anyone would consider those as "minimal". I am
> tempted to say that minimal should fit a definition similar to "grab a
> small image -- the smaller the better -- and use it to do an install
> which can give you a local root account which can further be used to
> install what ever else is needed. And which allows basic network tests
> as it is".

Which can be addressed by a minimal CD being discussed in a separate
thread. I tried to avoid mentioning that here so as not to cloud the DVD
media discussion :-)

My use of the quoted term "minimal" was perhaps misleading - I meant it
to refer to the fact that Disk1 could be used as a stand alone disk and
would not require the "optional" Disk2.