[CentOS-devel] EL6 and larger than DVD install media

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 19 17:14:16 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
| hi,
|
| I am guessing most people have looked at the larger-than-DVD install
| tree's in the shape of the 'base' and 'optional' repos in rhel6-beta.
|
| When it comes to us doing the tree's there are a couple of options,
| one
| of which might be to stick with 'base' and 'optional' repositories.
| But
| I am fairly sure that Red Hat will productise their tree's into the
| various varients ( Workstation, Server, Cluster Suite etc ) and drop
| the
| 'optional' repo to make things look a lot more like the EL5 tree's.
|
| Since we mix all the tree's into one - that creates the issue we have
| with 5.5/x86_64/DVD1 and DVD2. Not ideal.
|
| I have a couple of ideas on this, but would like to hear what everyone
| else thinks is the best way to handle this. Keep in mind that we want
| try to ensure that all kickstart / tools / code written for RHEL
| should
| justwork on CentOS ( well, as much as is possible ).
|
| - KB

I currently loop mount the DVD1 ISO installation media for my kickstarts.  These installation servers are separated from the other update servers, so long as all the critical components are on one installation media I'm golden.  I rarely, if ever, use the DVD media

I don't like the idea of having to duplicate the contents of the DVD into a "raw" tree if the critical kickstart components are broken across multiple disks.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

Does your OS has a man 8 lart?