[CentOS-devel] EL6 and larger than DVD install media

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Oct 20 10:28:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 10/20/2010 07:34 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> To me, it would be more effective (from a space perspective) to align
>> a little more closely with how RHEL distributes and have a 'core' or> I second that option. Not to mention that I do not even remember that

There are two major implications from doing this :

1) we change what is the expected tree / behaviour in CentOS-2.1/3/4/5 -
in that there is one rolled in product; and people would have come to
expect that.

2) Storage and duplicated rpms across isos's : its not that big a deal
in that we can most likely work around the need to have a lot more
storage on each mirror / msync machine; but it is a concern.

The big issue is going to be (1), where it could potentially change the
game for a lot of people. I am not sure if we really want to go down
that route. There is a hybrid option, in that we have a consolidated
tree with multiple DVD's for everyone who wants the whole distro; while
we also create some more role-specific iso spins and maybe bring back
the server isos[1].

- KB

[1]: given that lots of people have asked or it, I have done some work
on this and hope to have a 5.5/server.iso for QA in the next few weeks
with the hope that we can release something like this with 5.6 as an
additional iso.