[CentOS-devel] EL6 and larger than DVD install media

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Oct 20 17:29:56 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 06:03 PM, James A. Peltier wrote:
> | 1) we change what is the expected tree / behaviour in CentOS-2.1/3/4/5
> | in that there is one rolled in product; and people would have come to
> | expect that.
>
> Is this such a big deal?  We're moving to CentOS 6.  That's a major change and would but a viable reason to change the tree layout.

I still think its a big deal, or can potentially become a big deal.
Since this changes quite a lot of context in whats already available (
docs etc ) and what people would expect ( we have always said that we
dont have any 'support driven / cost driven' build selections ).

> | 2) Storage and duplicated rpms across isos's : its not that big a deal
> | in that we can most likely work around the need to have a lot more
> | storage on each mirror / msync machine; but it is a concern.
>
> multiple iso files does not equal duplicated RPMs that I can see.  The tree would still be unified; no?!?

Not really. Workstation build would have quite a lot of common ground
with Server ( as an example: kernel / glibc / bash  ). Also, the tree
needs to ( or should ) match the primary install media  or one loses out
on a lot of potential tooling. eg Spacewalk / cobbler would then need to
be aware of how the different tree's dont match up and howto handle those.

- KB