[CentOS-devel] EL6 and larger than DVD install media

Tue Oct 19 17:57:28 UTC 2010
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am guessing most people have looked at the larger-than-DVD install
> tree's in the shape of the 'base' and 'optional' repos in rhel6-beta.

Yep.

> Since we mix all the tree's into one - that creates the issue we have
> with 5.5/x86_64/DVD1 and DVD2. Not ideal.
>
> I have a couple of ideas on this, but would like to hear what everyone
> else thinks is the best way to handle this. Keep in mind that we want to
> try to ensure that all kickstart / tools / code written for RHEL should
> justwork on CentOS ( well, as much as is possible ).

To me, it would be more effective (from a space perspective) to align
a little more closely with how RHEL distributes and have a 'core' or
'server' disk, and then a workstation disk. By separating out
OpenOffice and a few other apps that should free up enough space to
have a single iso that covers what people are looking for. Desktop
users aren't really going to need tomcat6, ant, etc. and most server
folks won't want openoffice or other similar stuff.

Just my $0.02(USD, $0.03 CND)

George Orwell