[CentOS-devel] submit a RPM

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Apr 6 23:09:20 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 11:58 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Other repo's _may_ respect upstream and not overwrite base packages or
> create conflicts.  However, they aren't going to consider CentOS
> "upstream".  And I think there is evidence that what is right for them
> is not going to be right for Centos users that have base/extra/plus
> packages that don't match or conflict with what they consider upstream.

For a lot of these packages, there does not need to be an upstream
concept if its project to project delivered. The centos.org repo's
become a delivery mechanism to the centos userbase for a specific app in
sync with what that app developers consider as their own policy ( and we
can help them with the centos side of things )

> So, yes, unless you want to ensure conflicts with the repos that CentOS
> users depend on, you need a policy that minimizes collisions.

There is very little or no coordination between repo's - and honestly,
the only real issue we'd be looking to solve would be for the centos
userbase, not SL/RHEL/anyone-else. And its unlikely to be a mass package
dump.

Regards,

- KB