[CentOS-devel] what / how could test reports be published

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 01:35:09 UTC 2011

On 4/7/11 7:55 PM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 05:28 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 04/07/2011 02:06 PM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
>>> I need this to prepare a similar environment for testing.
>>
>> Ok, lets get a git repo together with whatever is needed to put together
>> a harness that people can deploy locally to help them with this process.
>> A fair bit of stuff is there already, lets see how much of that is
>> usable outside the centos-qa-environ
>>

> Hi Karanbir
>
> Here's my thoughts that I'm trying to implement, let me know if it's OK
> so I can start by now (in my spare time):
>
> - Setup a CentOS-based web-server $SERVER for hosting centos yum repo,
> kernel+initrd ,kickstarts, test-scripts.
>
> - Write a python script, that:
>     1. run virt-install with -l http://$SERVER/centos  -x
> http://$SERVER/kickstars/ks --nographics (serial console)
>
>     2. Connect to the system (serial console) download tests and run them
> ('pexpect' module), the output should be text only.

Is this only going to handle one test instance on one machine at a time or
should it be able to deal with a bunch of concurrent changes across a group of
test machines?  For the latter, you need a way to collate the responses and tie
them back to the source of the change each runs against.  Something like jenkins
(http://jenkins-ci.org/) might be a good place to start and it already has
plugins for most build/test related things you might want to do
(https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Plugins).  It does expect a JVM to
be working on the slaves (but is very platform-agnostic otherwise) so the
bare-metal installs would need to run the script driving the job on a controlled
slave with the real action happening in a VM or another target.  You still need
to write the specific tests, but the jenkins framework can automate the work of
distributing them to the targets triggered by changes and collecting the results
for central viewing.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com