[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Apr 10 11:57:08 UTC 2011

On 03/23/2011 06:24 AM, carlopmart wrote:
> On 03/23/2011 12:11 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:

>>> Honestly ... I know the meaning of the concept of "binary compatible". I
>>> don't understand is where you see the difference between CentOS and SL
>>> about this. Where is the difference?
>>
>> carlopmart, please go to the -users list with this, one of the CentOS
>> devs actually posted a relevant example of the SL/CentOS differences
>> earlier today:
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-March/108389.html
>>
>> Best regards
>> Kenni
>
> I don't doubt about Johnny Hughes says in his email, but there is an
> important point is not to taken into account: SL5.6 is not released and
> Johnny makes his comparision between SL and CentOS 5.6.
>
> ok, then the principal two reasons to don't fusion CentOS and SL are:
>
>   a) SL is not "binary compatible"
>
>   b) SL binaries are linked in different manner than TUV does.
>
> ?? am I right??

I never said that SL does anything wrong.  And yes, they have not
"released" 5.6 yet, so it might be fixed then.

If people want CentOS, they should use CentOS.  If they want Scientific
Linux, they should use Scientific Linux.

I was only pointing out that one can find fault with any distribution.

I do not know what exact process is for SL ... I do know what it is for
CentOS.

For the record, neither CentOS nor SL is 100% compatible with the
upstream product.  Ned Slider pointed out that some of our Kernel
modules are build against some different than upstream because they
built on a version of the kernel that they did not release.  We do not
have access to that kernel source code, so we built against a released
kernel.

The real issue is that the upstream product is not necessarily self
hosting and they sometimes build against stuff that is not released.
That is just how it is.  Then again, they never said their goal was to
produce a self hosting distribution.  They also do not need to provide
every iteration of their software that resides on the build system, and
they do provide more information than any other enterprise vendor.

There is no reason to slam SL to build up CentOS (or vice versa) ...
both CentOS and SL are quality free enterprise distributions.  Each can
be used for enterprise level server or workstation uses.

I can say that if I was not using CentOS then I would be using SL.