[CentOS-devel] WebSite V2 - progress

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Sat Apr 16 15:08:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:01:27 +0300
Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:

> On Saturday 16 April 2011 09:36:45 Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
> > Marian,
> >
> > Marian Marinov wrote:
> > > Hello guys,
> > > we have done some progress on the new web site project.
> > > We need your comments for the design of the front page.
> > > We have 3 proposals or the design of the frontpage.
> > >
> > > Please look at them, we need your help :)
> > >
> > >    http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/websitever2/
> >
> > I could only see one wireframe:
> >
> >    http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/websitever2/node/40
> >
> > (and an HTML skeleton at
> > http://hydra.azilian.net/centos/centos.html).
> >
> > Could you post the precise URLs of the 3 proposals? If they are
> > somewhere then I cannot find them, I cannot make heads or tails of
> > the navigation on that site.
> >

> I'm sorry, I thought that they were publicly visible from the atrium
> site. Here are all of the proposals:
>   http://hydra.azilian.net/centos/

Hi Marian and all,

Thanks for posting those links. When I tried accessing the first batch
I enabled in no script and unblocked with adblock plus and still got
nothing, so I tried Opera and nothing there either. :-/

I'd vote for number 2. Number 1 looks like it would have large areas
that rely on having flash enabled (slideshow) and I'm not a fan of that.
Sometimes I'll land on a site that requires flash to see the page at
all and if it's someplace I haven't been before I usually just go away.
Not to mention TUV's desire to only include items that are 'free' vs
'proprietary' so flash isn't included in the sponsored repo's.  I know
it's 'what everyone is doing', but ...

I would also suggest variable width vs fixed width on whichever theme you end
up with, if it's possible.  I think fixed width is more prone to
break in some cases. And I wanted to add a thanks to Yury that pointed
to cmsmadesimple, I'd not heard of it before and I'm going to check it
out.

Cia W