[CentOS-devel] WebSite V2 - progress

Marc Laporte marc at marclaporte.com
Sun Apr 24 00:26:07 UTC 2011

> The software stack is still up in the air. I personally believe there
> will be more then one viable solution. If that's the case, having a
> champion or some expertise in the group could end up being the
> deciding factor.

Hi!

I am an admin for Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware,

I suggest to take a look:  "Tiki is a full-featured, web-based,
multilingual (40+ languages), tightly integrated, all-in-one
Wiki+CMS+Groupware, Free Source Software (GNU/LGPL), using PHP, MySQL,
Zend Framework, jQuery and Smarty. Actively developed by a very large
international community, Tiki can be used to create all kinds of Web
applications, sites, portals, knowledge bases, intranets, and
extranets."

Recent interview on FLOSS Weekly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8tjaz6CO3Q

It is both similar and different to Drupal.

Similar: community-backed general purpose FOSS web app with tons of features.
Different: Tiki has scheduled releases, all-in-one model and a
wiki-way approach to the whole project.

The "Tiki model" consists of:
* Wiki community (do-ocracy)
* Wiki way participation to the code (475+ with full write access to
the complete code base)
* Scheduled releases (2 major releases per year)
* All-in-one codebase (1 000 000 lines of code, with everything
bundled. Each feature is optional)
* Inherent synchronized releases (all features have to be ready at the
same time)
* Lots of features, but no duplication (in a wiki, similar/related
content is merged, so the same is applied to features)
* Dogfood (Tiki is a community recursively developing a community
management system)
* Very open community. Everything is discussed.

You can read the details here: http://tiki.org/Model

It's the FOSS Web application with the most built-in features in the
World. I realize the initial reaction is "OMG, how can it be stable?
it must be so bloated!". In reality, because everthing is built-in,
you just activate what you need. There is virtually no feature
duplication and a high collaboration throughout the code-base. In
contrast, other major CMS projects have 5000, 6000 or 7000 external
modules/extensions and you need to manage the dependencies and
compatibility (making upgrades difficult)

OpenAtrium is a distribution of Drupal. They pick & choose from the
thousands of 3rd party modules to tailor to a specific use case. In
Tiki, since the code base for all Tikis is identical, sites can be
configured using "Profiles" (community configurations managed in wiki
pages): http://profiles.tiki.org/ You have the exact same code base as
everyone else in the community, and you can just (de)activate any
feature, making your upgrades easy.

I realize that you currently have a myriad of apps (and it must be a
challenge!) and that won't change overnight. If you want a
progressively better integration of the various parts (wiki, portal,
bug tracker, forum, etc.), do take a look at Tiki. Tiki has been
downloaded over 900 000 times since 2002.

I'd be glad to answer any and all questions :-)

Best regards,

--
Marc Laporte
http://tiki.org/Model