[CentOS-devel] Cent OS 5.5 Clustering and Support

Karanbir Singh

kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Apr 4 13:23:20 UTC 2011

Hi Kumar

On 04/01/2011 03:50 PM, Kumar, Ranjan wrote:
> We are a Channel product team within LSI and we are trying to add Cent
> OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We found out that LSI currently has
> a relationship with CentOS for another project on the Internal Storage
> division but not with the OS Certification team. We require some
> information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables. And
> considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if
> someone from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else also
> can answer these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The
> questions that we have are as follows:-

I am fairly sure that the CentOS Project does not have any relationship
with LSI on any front ( internal storage or otherwise ). We have always
encouraged vendors to speak with upstream ( Red Hat ) for things of this
nature. However, being a non vendor driven project, there are still some
options that you might be able to follow. The most promising one of
which is self endorsement.

> 1)Cluster Support :
> ·Does CentOS 5.5 provides native cluster support ?

That would depend on what you imply by 'support'. Code components and
resources needed to build something of this nature are included into the
distribution.

> 2)Does CentOS have any self Certification tool which allows OEMs/Vendors
> to qualify the OS and post it in their compatibility matrix?

No. On the other hand, we prefer that vendors do both:

1) Approach upstream for such certifications / testing etc

2) Self endorse CentOS from their perspective with their own toolchains
( which, in your case would be LSI endorsing CentOS as a supported
platform ). If there is a reasonable need to do so, we could potentially
host a resource that allows third party vendors to document their
certification / endorsement; but at the moment there is nothing of that
nature on .centos.org

> One we start our qualification, we might need some help in resolving
> issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a channel or Point of contact who
> will be able to help us out with such issues.

http://bugs.centos.org/ is the best place to track something of this nature.

Its possible that these things might change in the future, but at the
moment this represents the state of play.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax