[CentOS-devel] Cent OS 5.5 Clustering and Support

Mon Apr 4 12:46:49 UTC 2011
Baird, Josh <jbaird at follett.com>

What a typical response (on this mailing list).  The arrogant and
pompous undertones of your email are ridiculous.  Heaven forbid a vendor
actually try to work with the project to achieve support and
compatibility standards.

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-devel-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-devel-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Charlie Brady
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 12:31 PM
To: Kumar, Ranjan
Cc: CentOS-devel at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS-devel] Cent OS 5.5 Clustering and Support

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Kumar, Ranjan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are a Channel product team within LSI and we are trying to add Cent

> OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We found out that LSI currently
has
> a relationship with CentOS for another project on the Internal Storage

> division but not with the OS Certification team. We require some
> information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables. And
> considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if
> someone from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else
also
> can answer these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The
> questions that we have are as follows:-
>

> 1)      Cluster Support :
>
> *         Does CentOS 5.5 provides native cluster support ?

It's obvious that your research hasn't told you anything about what
CentOS
is. Via google, and via the website http://www.centos.org/, you can
learn
that CentOS 5.5 is technically the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5.

It is the same source code, but compiled by different people, except
where
branding changes are required, where the source code will be changed to
change branding information only.

CentOS 5.5 has the same native cluster support as Red Hat Enterprise
Linux
5.5 does.

> *         Is there any cluster suite available for CentOS 5.5 ?

Yes, the Red Hat Cluster Suite is included with CentOS 5.5.

> *         Can we use the cluster suite in CentOS 4 for 5.5.

No.

> 2)      Does CentOS have any self Certification tool which allows
>    OEMs/Vendors to qualify the OS and post it in their compatibility
>    matrix?

Not as far as I know, but you should do your own research on this,
rather
than ask us to do it for you.

> One we start our qualification, we might need some help in resolving
> issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a channel or Point of contact
who
> will be able to help us out with such issues.

CentOS support and engineering channels are described on the CentOS
website. But in general CentOS does does not make any technical change
in
the kernel or clustering software - it is bug for bug compatible with
the
software produced by Red Hat.

> I would also request to forward this email to the right forum if the
> mailing list we are sending to is not the appropriate one.

No mailing list will do this for you. You need to do your own homework.