[CentOS-devel] I want to help

Tue Apr 5 17:17:13 UTC 2011
Tom Sorensen <tsorensen at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 06:46 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> Consider this: would you run packages that were built on $random site,
>>> with little or zero assurance of what, why and who has access to the
>>> machines ? I wont :)
>> I would certainly want the final builds done on an "official" build
>> server, but there's no reason there can't be "extended" build servers
>> that contributors could use to test build packages to find problems.
>> Once problems are found, patches could be generated and then vetted,
>> applied, and built on the official trusted servers.
>
> given that plenty of mirrors already carry the stuff that peculates down
> from upstream, there should be no real issue for people to setup mock
> build environs and be doing private builds themselves anyway.

And while I'd still like to see some more clarity in the build process
(such as, what packages are failing), after my earlier rant I did
discover that the build process is reasonably well documented:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess

So I suspect that if you wanted to help identify build problems, go
down that path.

Tom Sorensen