[CentOS-devel] Centos server installation

Tue Aug 2 16:29:13 UTC 2011
夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp>

On 08/03/2011 01:19 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 05:01 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Anyway, wouldn't this break "binary compatibility with upstream"?
>>
>> Agreed - it is something that upstream should provide too.  Or at least
>> a yum group or list of packages in a form that yum would understand to
>> install them later.
>>

> So the interesting thing about that is - that no, it wont break upstream
> compatibility; since the groups that are put in are done by us -
> remember that upstream has varients that we dont, and their process and
> policy around those varients depends on various non technical factors (
> eg. how much money you paid for the subscription that in turn got you
> the install media ).
>
> Lets say, its a bit of a grey area - we *could* have that as an option
> if people *really* wanted it. I suspect a yum install \* in the %post of
> a ks.cfg would achieve about the same result.

And this was the route opted for. The folks who understand how to do
that are the ones who are safest doing it. Sort of like putting a
child-lock on the brain-eating entropy machine that a system this large
and diverse can become.

-Iwao