[CentOS-devel] HyperV Linux Integration Services added to Centos?Plus?

Tue Aug 23 03:14:16 UTC 2011
Peter J. Pouliot <peter at pouliot.net>

Answers in line.  Thanks for asking the questions.

 Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:03:07PM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
>    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Peter J. Pouliot <[1]peter at pouliot.net>
>    wrote:
>
>      I would like have the work we have done for building RHEL 6 rpms used to
>      create offical "Centos" signed packages for the LIS included in the
>      centos-plus perminately as well as have an offical
>      "Centos" media or boot options on the current install media for
>      installing as an enlighented guest on hyperv.
>
>    A few questions if you don't mind
>
>    Are these similar to the packages available here ->
>    [2]http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/microsoft/

That's older packaging work we did for RHEL5.  Newer packages are being tested for RHEL6.  Currently there are MSFT contractors maintaining that specific channel in the SUSE OBS.
The RHEL 6 Packages were built one of my other SUSE collegues and have not yet been integrated into that channel by the MSFT folks.

We can have additional discussion around LIS packaging as I am currently in process to bring control of this into the community instead, with an end goal of providing automated nightly builds/packaging for most distros.

>    Can these drivers be loaded (or be made to load) via the driver disk
>    option to the installer?
>    ([3]http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.dkms.devel/744)
>    and if so is this an acceptable method to you for loading them?

This could be a viable option, however integration into install media which utilizes the plus repo might be cleaner user experience not requiring additional user interaction or install time parameters.

>    What license are these drivers covered under?
GPL v2.

The drivers are currently in staging on the mainline kernel.   My goal, note I am not speaking for the company of I work for (SUSE), or the company who pays for the room I sit in (MSFT), is to help get the work our team has done for the last five years integrated into all linux distributions.

As you know politics can have a nasty way of working into everything.   This is my attempt at approaching this without any of the corporate politics involved.  I reach out as an individual looking to better the experience of linux on hyperv regardless of distro.

So here's what I have to offer to assist in the process.   I run a complete datacenter (100+ servers, san, blades, etc), which I have FULL control of, outside of either corporate network.  I am willing to both provide and host resources for the community to make this occur.  In addition, we have recently built an openstack infrastructure upon hyperv which we are using as the basis for large scale testing of the LIS, I would like to include centos as part of this.  Also, I would like to possibily tie into any of the community processes for testing/validation to provide coverage to enable centos to run as a viable guest on hyperv.

I know there has been heavy politics between MS and RH around this, and I know that politically RH is not likely to ever include the LIS.   That's why I'm asking for addition to centos-plus and the install media.

I do not want to cause political unrest or for this to be taken out of context.  Once again, my goal is to help provide a better experience for linux users running on HyperV regardless of distro.  If I can reach out to the great opensource community and provide resources to assist in making this happen, hopefully we'll bypass any corporate political agenda, and end up with a win for linux users running on HyperV that was complete driven by the community and not by MSFT.

Thanks for the time.