[CentOS-devel] progress?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Feb 18 16:17:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, js wrote:

> Le 18/02/11 19:39, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
>> On 02/17/2011 08:34 AM, jean-seb wrote:
>>
>>> theses words are just stupid (sorry, but I'm bored to read stuff like
>>> that "if you're unhappy, buy RH and Shut up"):
>>>
>>> Ok, so that mean Centos is just a sand box and they should indicate in
>>> the web site:
>>> "Warning, This projet is just for fun, do not use for production" ????
>>> You cannot, in a side be "an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution" (see
>>> http://www.centos.org/) and
>>> in the other side said "take source and build your own";
>>> It's important to be coherent ....
>>> So if Centos cannot be reactive about security update ... remove the
>>> "Enterprise-class" from the web site
>>> and be clear about that.
>> Look ... use CentOS or don't.
>>
>> Help us test it or don't.
>>
>> Build your own or don't.
>>
>> If you don't like it .. don't use it.
>
> You don't understand, I think, the meaning of my email:
> When someone said "Ok, buy a RH license" to end a discussion and don't
> talk about problems
> is just not a good approch.
> My mail is not (to be clear) against Centos, but against those who use
> the "do it yourself" just to shutdown all
> argument  :)

Mine too. The same things have been discussd for the past 4 years, and the
same arguments have been used. And in 2011 it still takes months to
release a new (minor !) release.

More than 2 months have passed since the release of RHEL5.6. Everyone
running CentOS 5 did not have security updates for 71 (!) days and
counting...

Considering that releases are 6 months apart, 2 months without security
updates means CentOS 5 users have no security updates 33% of the time.
(Luckily some releases shipped less than 2 months after RHEL !)

Calling me a baby is probably the easiest approach to the problem.

PS Looking back, CentOS 5.3 took 2 months, and CentOS 4.8 even took 3
months to be released. CentOS 6.0 is a new time low with a delay of more
than 3 months, but without harming its userbase ;-)